Reflections

At the end of each academic year, I bid farewell to th names on my class lists, shuck off the teacher robes for two months, and then get new names for the class lists. But, just because those names aren't on the list, doesn't mean I stop thinking about them. I do. And running into them during the course of daily life is thrilling. I love to see them all grown up and doing the things I had hoped they would. Thanks to Facebook. I am able to see that a little more.
    Last nigh I learned via Facebook that a ornery student had died. A three times a week rotary kid who ate daily at breakfast club for two years. When I read it, my first thought was some stupid teen misadventure like a car accident, followed by the thought of a drug overdose. With his background, that would not have been surprising.
   Nothing in the paper, nothing online. Such little value the life of a 16year old south end kid. So i face booked a former student who would know things. She told me he killed himself.
Stunning sadness. I can't believe it, but I can. We, the system, failed this kid. And his friends, because they are all he had. And now, where were the adults in this situation. Where are they now? Nowhere

Comments

Popular posts from this blog